OpenEdition Journals is a platform dedicated to journals in the humanities and social sciences. Originally founded in 1999 under the name Revues.org, it now hosts more than 550 online publications, of which 80% are available in open access.
Are you a publisher or part of a journal’s editorial team, and do you want to join this initiative? The following is a detailed description of the application criteria, the application procedures and the evaluation of the dossiers.
To be declared admissible, an application must meet the admissibility criteria mentioned below:
- The journal must have published at least 3 issues or 30 articles (for born-digital journals) before being eligible to apply;
- Journals with a publication delay of more than one year are not accepted;
- The application is conditional on the acceptance of the OpenEdition platform Terms and Conditions of Use (T & Cs);
- When a journal is accepted, it must ensure the regular publication of its content;
- OpenEdition anchors its action within the framework of the French National Plan for Open Science, therefore It favours open access journals:
- Applications from journals wishing an embargo period longer than 12 months will not be examined.
- Governance, integrity and editorial policy
- Journals that publish authors from a single, restricted professional milieu (members of the same institution, PhD students, etc.) are not accepted.
- Selection and evaluation of scientific articles must be carried out by peers according to clearly stated procedures;
- The composition and constitution of the journal's editorial bodies (editorial board, etc.) must be defined and publicly displayed;
- OpenEdition favours journals which display publicly their editorial line in a clear and detailed way;
- OpenEdition favours journals that publicly display a priori or a posteriori procedures taken for scientific integrity (issues of data fabrication, plagiarism, etc.);
- OpenEdition favours journals that provide bilingual title, abstracts and keywords to ensure better search engine optimization.
- The journal team or publisher should submit an application by completing the OpenEdition Journals membership request form to email@example.com;
- The Terms and Conditions of Use must be attached to the application form, dated and signed by the journal's legal representative. It is necessary to send the original version by post. Please specify the title of the journal and the role of the signatories;
- The last 3 issues of the journal in PDF-format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents to be attached
- List and affiliation of the members of the editorial board and/or the scientific committee
- Description of the functioning and the role of this/these committee·s. How is/are the committee·s consulted?
- Presentation of the selection procedures for the texts
- Presentation of instructions to authors (including editorial standards)
- Optional: any other documentation specifying the project
Applications will be evaluated by external experts and examined by OpenEdition’s academic board before being accepted. This evaluation aims to assess the relevance and originality of the academic project, the nature of the application and its academic scope, the editorial quality of the project, its technical feasibility, and the journal’s capacity to professionally manage the entire editorial process in the long term. The decision to accept or refuse applications is the prerogative of OpenEdition’s academic board. A final decision is taken only upon receipt of a complete application dossier.
The evaluation stages
- Verification that the application criteria are met according to the yearly submission schedule;
- Double external expert assessment of the application;
- Internal assessment of the editorial quality and technical feasibility of the project ;
- Ranking of applicant journals by OpenEdition’s academic board four times a year on the basis of scientific merit, editorial professionalism, operational feasibility (organisation and technical capacity of the editorial team);
- The journal team is informed of the final decision.
Application evaluations take 12 months on average. The duration varies depending on the complexity of the application. This timescale includes the designation of experts, internal and external assessment and the quarterly ranking of applications by OpenEdition’s Scientific Committee.
To streamline the application monitoring process, we have set up a yearly calendar for the submission of applications.
- 30, September 2021 (for submissions between 18 June and 30 September)
- 17, December 2021 (for submissions between 30 September and 18 December)
We will study your application from these dates and check its completeness.
Updating application dossiers
During the application process, journals are asked to send a copy of each new issue that is published. Journals should also keep OpenEdition’s academic board informed of changes to its editorial or academic organisation (staff changes, changes to periodicity, etc.).
Please use the following email address for sending membership requests and for all questions relating to the membership procedure or processes: email@example.com
Technopôle de Château-Gombert
22, rue John Maynard Keynes